NEW SEASON GAMMON WITH CELERIAC REMOULADE
This is down-to-earth, honest food relying entirely on a few top quality ingredients. Perfect for a large relaxed Sunday lunch with friends. Burwash Manor's own Essex Saddleback gammon is available from The Larder throughout the month of March, as is locally grown celeriac and potatoes.
1. Place the gammon, onion, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water.
2. Bring to the boil, skim away the thick scum that rises to the surface.
3. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes per 450g (1lb) i.e. approximately 1 hour 50 minutes - 2 hours 20 minutes.
4. Once cooked, remove the gammon from the pan and when cool enough to handle, peel away the skin, leaving a thin layer of white fat.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375ºF/gas mark 5.
6. Mix together the egg yolk, mustard and bread crumbs to make a fairly firm paste.
7. Spread the ingredients for the crust over the gammon and bake towards the top of the oven until golden, about 10-15 minutes.
1. Place all the ingredients except for the mayonnaise in a mixing bowl. Add the mayonnaise gradually, as you want just enough to coat/bind the grated celeriac.
2. Season to taste. You may want to add a little more lemon juice, mustard, salt or pepper.
provided by www.cambridgecookeryschool.com