GRILLED MACKEREL FILLETS WITH POACHED RHUBARB
1. Wash and trim the rhubarb and cut into 5cm pieces. Place in a large bowl.
2. Make a basic stock syrup from equal quantities of sugar and water. Heat quite gently until the sugar has dissolved, then increase the heat and boil for 10-12 minutes or until thickened.
3. Add the chilli flakes to the stock syrup and pour the hot syrup over the rhubarb. Cover and leave to cool. This should result in perfectly "al dente" rhubarb rather than over-soft fruit.
4. Pre-heat the grill to its highest setting.
5. Arrange the mackerel fillets, skin side up, on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
6. Grill the fillets for 2-3 minutes, turn over and grill for just one more minute.
7. Arrange a handful of salad leaves in the middle of each plate, drizzle with olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a little salt and pepper.
8. Place two mackerel fillets on top and garnish with the rhubarb.
provided by www.cambridgecookeryschool.com