ORANGE, APPLE AND CRANBERRY GRUNT
The robustly named Grunt is a traditional dessert from the eastern coast of the United States. It is similar to a cobbler and combines steamed winter fruit topped with relatively low-fat pastry. This version is redolent with Christmas spice.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Peel and slice 3 of the oranges, juice the fourth.
3. Combine the cranberries, orange, apples, water, Muscovado sugar and spices in a large pan. Slowly bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Add the milk and pulse again.
5. Transfer the fruits to an ovenproof ceramic dish. Scoop out the pastry and drop over the fruits.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Serve with custard.
provided by www.cambridgecookeryschool.com