BRITISH RASPBERRIES WITH ZABAGLIONE
June brings us British raspberries. Arguably most delicious of all soft fruits, raspberries are also full of goodness including vitamins, minerals and lutein, a pigment which helps maintain good eye sight.
Use fresh raspberries in meringue based desserts, in homemade fools and as a healthy and delicious addition to breakfast cereal or yoghurt.
Here we team them with a classic Italian Zabaglione, elevating plain raspberries to an elegant dinner-party dessert. Zabaglione demands patience as it will take a good 12-15 minutes for the egg mixture to transform into a feather light, velvety foam. Marsala is an inexpensive but delicious fortified Italian wine available from supermarkets and wine merchants.
1. Arrange a generous amount of raspberries in a nice glass.
2. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl that will fit on top of a pan of simmering water.
3. While the water heats up, use an electric whisk to beat the yolks and sugar until pale yellow.
4. Place the bowl over the simmering water - taking care that the water does not touch the bowl - and add the Marsala. Continue to whisk for 10-12 minutes until the mixture grows in volume and becomes light and fluffy. This can seem like a long time to whisk, but be patient, it will happen.
5. Spoon the Zabaglione over the raspberries and serve straight away.
provided by www.cambridgecookeryschool.com