PLUM AND TOASTED HAZELNUT CAKE WITH A CRUNCHY DEMERARA CRUST
This hazelnut cake has a really autumnal flavour. The tart plums complement the beautiful, soft sugary cake.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°c.
2. Grease and line a 23cm round, deep, loose bottom cake tin with a circle of baking paper.
3. Lightly toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan. When hazelnuts have cooled, finely grind in a food processor keeping a handful whole for use later.
4. Roughly chop half of the plums cutting the remainder in halves.
5. Beat butter and sugar, in a bowl, until creamy and light. Mix in the eggs one at a time, adding a little of the flour when the mixture curdles.
6. Fold in the flour, baking powder and the hazelnut extract. Finally, stir in the ground hazelnuts and chopped plums.
7. Pour the mix into the prepared tin and top with the halved plums, round side up. Sprinkle the top generously with the demerara sugar and the reserved whole hazelnuts. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and firm. Leave to cool, on a wire rack, for 15 minutes before removing from the tin.
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with hazelnut gelato.
provided by Romano's